Megyn Kelly gave Jane Fonda the what-for on Megyn Kelly Today Monday. Referring to Fonda as "Hanoi Jane," she addressed the Oscar-winner’s reaction to Kelly’s queries in September about her plastic surgery.
Kelly opined that Fonda "has no business lecturing anyone on what qualifies as offensive," and blasted her "poor-me routine" while also slamming the actress over Vietnam War controversies from decades past.
- "Fonda was on to promote a film about aging," Kelly began. "For years she has spoken openly about her joy in giving a cultural face to older women. Well, the truth is most older women look nothing like Fonda, who is now 80 and if Fonda really wants to have an honest discussion about older women's cultural face, then her plastic surgery is tough to ignore."
- Fonda was promoting Netflix’s Our Souls at Night.
- She then aired a montage of Fonda discussing plastic surgery during previous TV interviews, and listed publications in which she discussed surgery.
- "Many of our veterans still call her 'Hanoi Jane' thanks to her radio broadcasts, which attempted to shame American troops. She posed on an anti-aircraft gun used to shoot down our American pilots," Kelly said. "She called our POWs hypocrites and liars and referred to their torture as understandable. Even she had to apologize years later for that gun picture, but not for the rest of it."
- Over the weekend, Fonda blasted Kelly for bringing up her surgery again, telling Variety: "It showed that she’s not that good an interviewer. But if she comes around and learns her stuff, sure," she said in answer to a question about going back on the NBC morning show.
The KarJenner sisters got together for a scantily clad photo shoot for Calvin Klein’s "Our Family" campaign, and it marks the first time all five sisters have been together since reports of Kylie Jenner and Khloe Kardashian’s pregnancies first surfaced.
Khloe has confirmed her pregnancy, but Kylie has yet to do the same. The ad, which Kim unveiled on social media, has everyone buzzing not for what the sisters revealed (we’ve seen them all in less than underwear, after all), but what Kylie chose to cover up.
- Yep, her stomach. Sigh. Twitter responded with a resounding eye-roll. One user tweets out: "Is @KylieJenner wearing Calvins too? I can't tell because y'all wrapped her up in a blanket so we wouldn't know she is pregnant" while another keeps it simple, tweeting "Kylie we know."
- As Kylie’s silence around her pregnancy becomes deafening, conspiracy theories have cropped up, the primary one being that she was the surrogate to Kim and Kanye West’s third child, Chicago. Now that Chicago's here though....
NATALIE PORTMAN TO HOST SNL: Natalie Portman is returning to Saturday Night Live on February 3rd, shortly before the February 23rd premiere of the sci-fi film Annihilation, in which she stars. Dua Lipa will be the musical guest. Last time she was on in 2006, she starred in a classic digital short where she displays surprisingly stellar rap skills.
JURY SELECTION FOR BILL COSBY RETRIAL SET FOR MARCH: Jury selection for Bill Cosby’s criminal sex assault retrial is set to start March 29th in suburban Philadelphia. The 80-year-old’s first court date ended in a mistrial. His retrial is scheduled for April 2nd. Meanwhile, Cosby held a special surprise comedy concert in Philadelphia last night. The disgraced comedian announced the news on Facebook just prior to the ticketed event’s start time. The show was billed as a special performance to honor jazz musician Tony Williams. It was open to the public, which was reportedly receptive to the comedian despite dozens of pending allegations of sexual assault. The 80-year-old entertainer took the stage for about an hour at a Philadelphia jazz club for his first show since May 2015. Before a friendly crowd, he told stories, honored old friends and finished by leading the band in a set, first using his mouth to scat in place of a missing horn section and then taking a turn at the drums.
MINDY KALING TAKES HER DAUGHTER FOR FIRST WALK: #StrollerGoals! Katherine Swati may be just five weeks old, but her wheels are already the envy of the town. New mom Mindy Kaling gave her followers on social media a glimpse of her daughter in her new pink-patterned stroller fitted with gold wings from the CYBEX collection by Jeremy Scott. "First walk. Gold rims and wings," Kaling, 38, captioned the shot.
FANS FREAK OUT OVER FRIENDS TRAILER: It’s a hoax, guys! Over the weekend, a trailer starring Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc, Matthew Perry and David Schwimmer went viral on social media, leading eager fans to believe that a Friends reunion movie was imminent. The fan-made trailer, published on January 12th, has racked up almost 4 million views, and has fans buzzing over a potential reunion. Despite the rabid interest, Friends co-creator Marta Kauffman has repeatedly said that there will be no reunion.
EWAN MCGREGOR’S WIFE EVE MAVRAKIS BREAKS SILENCE ON SPLIT: Ewan McGregor’s wife Eve Mavrakis is opening up about their split after 22 years of marriage and four kids. She says that the divorce is "upsetting" but that she is moving on. "It’s disappointing and upsetting but my main concern is our four children are okay," Mavrakis told The Sun. McGregor, 46, and his Fargo co-star Mary Elizabeth Winstead, 33, were photographed kissing in public, which sparked his and Mavrakis to announce their separation last October. They filed for divorce on January 19th.
STEVE-O IS ENGAGED: Jack*ss star Steve-O popped the question to longtime flame Lux Wright, he shared via Instagram. "Last night, in front of a bunch of my Jack*ss buddies, my closest friends, my dad, and my sister… she said ‘yes’," Steve-O, 43, captioned a series of photos. "I planned that for more than six months, and I’m so happy—I can’t wait for you all to see it…" This will be Steve-O’s third marriage. He was married to Candy-Jane Tucker from 2002-2003, and Brittany McGraw from 2006-2008.
LINDSAY LOHAN’S HOCKEY-PLAYING COUSIN PUNCHED AT DOMINO’S: A Boston College hockey player who happens to be Lindsay Lohan’s cousin is out "indefinitely" after he was punched at a Boston pizza place and sent to the hospital. The university said that graduate student Kevin Lohan was the victim of an "unprovoked assault." Police are investigating a report of the assault at a Domino’s at about 2:30 a.m. Friday. Lohan’s girlfriend told police they were in line when a group of six to eight people began pushing, and "out of nowhere" one knocked Lohan to the ground with a punch to the face. The suspects fled and Lohan went to the hospital with a jaw injury. The 6-foot-5, 217-pound defenseman transferred to BC after four years at Michigan.
Mother! starring Jennifer Lawrence and directed by Darren Aronofsky (so promising! There was even Oscar buzz!) has earned the ignominious honor of earning a 2018 Razzie nomination for Worst Actress, Worst Supporting Actor (Javier Bardem) and Worst Director.
Fifty Shades Darker led the nominations with Transformers: The Last Knight, with eight and nine noms each, respectively.
- Bardem (Mother!, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales) and Mark Wahlberg (Daddy’s Home 2, Transformers: The Last Knight) received the special honor of earning a pair of movie nominations in their acting categories.
- The 38th Golden Raspberry Awards will celebrate the very worst films in Hollywood on March 3rd, the day before the Academy Awards.
Joel McHale is defending Master of None star Aziz Ansari against the sexual misconduct allegations leveled against him.
The comedian told TMZ that it sounds like the activity Ansari engaged in with an unnamed female photographer sounded consensual. In an interview previously published on Babe, the woman alleges that he did not respond to physical cues she gave him and that she felt pressured into performing sexual acts on him.
- "The problem is that people will read just the name and then just the accusation and they don't find out anything more than that," McHale told TMZ. "So that's the problem, but it sounds like it was consensual."
- "The #MeToo movement is tremendous, and is awesome and needs to happen and continue forever, but if someone had a bad date, then it's a bad date," McHale continued.
- Ansari has responded to the allegations, issuing a statement that reads in part: "It was true that everything did seem okay to me, so when I heard that it was not the case for her, I was surprised and concerned."
- HLN host Ashleigh Banfield and several others have come also out in defense of Ansari.
- The 34-year-old actor did not attend Sunday evening’s SAG Awards, where he was nominated for best actor in a comedy series for Master of None. The award went to William H. Macy, for Shameless.
Hope Luann de Lesseps has a mean sense of humor! Real Housewives of New York City star Sonja Morgan posted shots of herself and fellow cast-mates posing for fake mugshots, weeks after fellow star de Lesseps got arrested and an all-too-real one of her made the rounds.
Shots of Morgan, Bethenny Frankel, Dorinda Medley, Tinsley Mortimer and Ramona Singer appear holding I.D. plaques and standing in front of height measures.
- De Lesseps was busted in Palm Beach, Florida before Christmas after allegedly verbally attacking and kicking a police officer who tried to oust her from someone else’s hotel room.
- She later apologized and checked herself into alcohol rehab.
PETER JACKSON TO MODERNIZE WWI FOOTAGE FOR NEW FILM: Remember how Peter Jackson transported viewers to Middle Earth in The Lord of the Rings? He’s hopes to do the same for World War I. Jackson is reportedly taking archival footage from the war and digitally restoring it to show what life was like in a war zone. "We have made a movie to show the experience of what it was like to fight in this war," Jackson said in a video discussing the film. "We don’t talk about strategies, battles or the historical aspects of the war. We just talk about the social experience, the human experience, of being in the war. I’ve never heard these interviews before, and they talk about it in a way that’s surprising." The film will premiere during the London Film Festival in October and then will be broadcast on BBC.
VICE FACES MORE ALLEGATIONS OF MISCONDUCT: British producer and presenter Billie JD Porter is making new misconduct allegations against Vice dating back 10 years. Porter made the allegations on Instagram and Twitter in response to Vice’s coverage of the Women’s March. "Yeah, women don’t forget. I haven’t forgotten being given drugs and alcohol by my boss in the office as a sixteen year-old, then being asked to perform sex acts on him. I haven’t forgotten being seriously told by my producers to get drunk before filming because they thought it made me a ‘funnier’ host. I haven’t forgotten the company firing me after what they called ‘inappropriate behavior’ at a company party where I was given a cocktail of drugs by senior management, who knew I was being treated for depression," she wrote. A Vice spokesperson told Deadline: "Ms. Porter has raised some of the allegations in her Instagram post with us and we have worked quickly and decisively to investigate them and take appropriate actions where necessary. We have encouraged her to give further details surrounding any allegations, so we can investigate those as well. We encourage any current or former employee who believes they are the victim of a crime to file a police report. We will co-operate with any law enforcement enquiries that follow." In January, Vice Media put a number of staff members, including president Andrew Creighton, on leave after harassment allegations surfaced.
VAMPIRINA GETS SECOND SEASON AT DISNEY JUNIOR: The show about a family of lovable vampires is getting a second season at Disney Junior. The music-filled show stars Lauren Graham, James Van Der Beek and Isabella Crovetti, and follows young Vee as she faces being the new vampire in town after a move from Transylvania to Pennsylvania. The series premiered October 1st on Disney and ranked as the preschool-targeted platform’s highest-rated new series.
SONY WORLDWIDE NABS DEBRA MESSING THRILLER SEARCH: Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions has snapped up the worldwide rights to the thriller Search, starring John Cho and Debra Messing in a $5 million deal, according to reports. Cho plays a father searching for his missing daughter. Aneesh Chaganty directed the film. Sony also recently snagged the rights to Nick Offerman starrer Hearts Beat Loud on Friday and Debra Granik's Leave No Trace.
KAREEM ABDUL-JABBAR BLASTS CURRENT BACHELOR: The NBA Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar thinks season 22 is a disappointment after last year’s season featuring the first African-American Bachelorette. "The current season of The Bachelor, featuring race car driver Arie Luyendyk Jr., is a serious misstep that comes across as a retreat into the past rather than a reflection of the times," he writes in a column for The Hollywood Reporter. Abdul-Jabbar continues: "With today’s heightened awareness through the #MeToo and Time’s Up movements, the entertainment media has a clear responsibility not to perpetuate stereotypes or behavior that negatively influences how we see people and therefore how we treat them. The higher the ratings, the greater the responsibility." Do you agree with Adbul-Jabbar?